The City of South Miami was incorporated in 1927 and has been “The City of Pleasant Living” ever since. With its “small-town” atmosphere, the city is home to several buildings with historic designations. South Miami recognizes 30 single family homes and 6 commercial buildings with historical designations.
Literally seconds from the University of Miami, South Miami is a major hub of University life, with its quaint, home- town ambience, boutique shops, dining, movie theaters, entertainment. With tree-lined streets, restaurants with outdoor seating, South Miami is home to boutique stores and one-of-a-kind shops, as well as a burgeoning center of town.
The Shops at Sunset Place (formerly known as the Bakery Center.. and the original site of the Holsum Bakery) houses a 24-movie -theater-complex, Urban Outfitters, Hollister, Splitsville, and Barnes & Noble, Banana Republic, Gap … to name a handful of tenants there. A few blocks up the road from Sunset Place is Whip ‘n Dip, a one-of-a-kind home-made ice cream shop and a favorite among locals… for decades now. Opened on July 4 1985, the owners make their ice cream in-house.
The City of South Miami borders the University of Miami’s main campus, and is nestled between Coral Gables and the Village of Pinecrest…. and is home to half a dozen sushi restaurants, with our two favorites being Myako and Akashi.
The two major local hospitals, Larkin and South Miami Hospital (Baptist), attract a continuous flow of new residents, offering employment and services to the entire county and far reaching areas.
The University of Miami and the two hospitals continue to be major pivotal factors in the growth of South Miami and surrounding outlying areas. South Dixie Highway ( US1) carries tens of thousands of vehicles through the City of South Miami, on a daily basis, from the Keys to I-95… with other major transportation routes easily accessible as well (826 and the turnpike).
At the turn of the century W. A. Larkins, an early pioneer, moved his family to the southern end of the the wagon trail. That wagon trail is today known as Ingraham Highway. Larkins settled, with his family, into what is now Cocoplum Circle. Cocoplum Circle became the site for the very first US Postal Office ( just after the turn of the century) and Larkins, became the first local postmaster. Acquiring a chunk of land just to the west of Red Road and south of Sunset Drive in the early 1900’s… Larkins opened a small dairy… and the first general supply store in the area. The community took on his name (and to this day the hospital still has his name). By 1920 property values soared… a ten-acre tract of land selling for a whopping $100,000.00. And in 1926 the Town of South Miami incorporated, bought it’s own fire truck, and rented it’s first Town Hall. The hub of the community then, is today known as “The Shops at Sunset Place”.